. . .SDWE/G member Frank Newton, who won first prize in the category of Best Youth Historical Fiction at the 2016 International Latino Book Awards. Frank’s novel, The Trials of Tizoc, is about an Aztec boy who struggles to save his parents from a gruesome death. The aim is to teach middle school and high school students about Aztec culture prior to the arrival of the Spanish conquistadors.
From the September issue of The Writer’s Life
- Peggy Hinaekian, who has scheduled a book signing event and/or exhibit of the etchings from her book at The Riford Library in La Jolla on Saturday, September 17 at 3 pm.; Barnes and Noble in Mira Mesa on Saturday, October 1, from 4-6 pm, and La Jolla Art and Wine Festival on Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 8 and 9.
- Rick Lakin for digital publication of new authors’ titles in June, July, and August.
- Phil Pryde, author of San Diego: An Introduction to the Region, for being featured in an interview by columnist Fred Dickey in the Aug 22, 2016, issue of the San Diego Union-Tribune.
- Chloe Edge, Dave Feldman, Richard Lederer, Tom Leech, Caroline McCullagh, and Frank Newton for teaching courses at OASIS San Diego and Escondido during the fall 2016 semester.
From the July Newsletter
- Frank Newton, PhD, who will be teaching three classes at Oasis-Mission Valley, on August 2, 9, and 13th. The lectures will focus on Cortez’s conquest of the Aztecs and Pizarro’s conquest of the Incas, providing historical background used in his recent book, The Trials of Tizoc.
- Joe Bonpensiero for publication of his new book Dinner in Happy Valley: A Humorous Memoir – If it wasn’t for the war!
- Ruth Leyse-Wallace, PhD, for presenting a nationally broadcast webinar for nutrition professionals on “Conducting a Nutrition-focused Physical Examination in the Behavioral Health Environment,” related to the content of her book.
From the June Newsletter.
- Frank Newton for acting as editor of a forthcoming book about holidays celebrated by Latinos in the United States, a compilation of columns nationally syndicated by the Hispanic Link News Service.
- Caroline McCullagh for her new book, The Ivory Caribou, published by Rick Lakin at iCrew Publishing, with a release date of June 7, 2016.
From the March 2016 edition of the newsletter
The latest marketing activities reported by group members include
- Frank Newton’s contact with a 7th-grade teacher who will have a “Pizza with the Author” day after class members read his book The Trials of Tizoc;
- Tom Leech’s baseball caps with the subjects of his books embroidered on the front; and
- Rick Lakin’s author interview podcasts.
to . . . .
- Joe Bonpensiero for TV publicity for his book Niputi; check out this video: http://www.news3lv.com/content/specials/videovault/story/video-vault-hawley-las-vegas-JoeBonpensiero/14drFdhiTUCSdEID2VZnPA.cspx
- Marie DeMercurio for publication of her book, From Birth Until Sunset — Poisoned to Death.
- Frank Newton for publication of his book, The Trials of Tizoc.