Note: Content of this page is not being maintained. For current information, please see our new site at Manuscript Review.
San Diego Writers / Editors Guild
Manuscript Review Program
Manuscript Review is one of the benefits of being a member of SDW/EG. Members of the Guild may submit up to 30 pages of their fiction, nonfiction, or memoir for evaluation by the Guild’s Manuscript Review Committee (MRC).
The MRC consists of a Coordinator and a selected panel of three (3) Reviewers. The Author’s identity is never known by the Reviewers, and the Reviewers’ identities are never known by the Author. In the event a Reviewer has prior knowledge of the Work submitted, that Work will be assigned to a different Reviewer. The fee is $20.
The Reviewers will first critique a three (3) page Preview submission. Upon its acceptance based on merit, the Author will be asked to submit the balance of the Work, up to a Maximum of thirty (30) pages. The Reviewers will then critique the Work, annotate as they wish, and complete an appropriate Evaluation Form (linked below). Aggregation of these evaluations will yield one of the following RATINGS: Highest Recommendation, Highly Recommended, Recommended, or No Recommendation. This RATING may be used by the author when contacting agents, editors, publishers, or for other promotion.
To submit your manuscript, download the Manuscript Preview Submission Form, below, or request it by mail or e-mail, and follow the instructions below:
- Prepare three (3) pages for Preview evaluation by the MRC, following formatting guidelines on the second page of the Form. The pages must be the first three pages of the Maximum Pages to be submitted.
- Submit completed Manuscript Preview Submission Form, application Fee of $20.00 made payable to SDW/EG, and four (4) copies of three (3) Preview pages to the address on the Application. Any pages in excess of three Preview pages will be discarded.
- MRC Reviewers will use the appropriate Evaluation Form from those listed below when preparing their evaluations.
- Manuscript Review Evaluation Form (Fiction)
- Manuscript Review Evaluation Form (Non-Fiction)
- Manuscript Review Evaluation Form (Memoir)
- The MRC will notify the Author if the Work has been accepted for further evaluation in the form of a mailed Request to Submit. If further evaluation is rejected for any reason, the Application Fee will be returned, together with suggested revisions for resubmission.
- If requested, submit four (4) copies of the Maximum (up to thirty) Pages. Any pages in excess of the Maximum will be discarded. Follow the formatting guidelines on the second page of the Application.
- About thirty days after the MRC’s receipt of the Maximum Pages, the MRC will notify the Author in writing of the RATING attained. Copies of the completed evaluation forms and any annotated text will also be mailed to the author.
If you have any questions, please contact Bob Doublebower at (760) 505‑6440 or firstname.lastname@example.org